Thursday, March 10, 2011

Day 266 - 3/9/11

I've posted another Mardi Gras photo because frankly, I was too busy to catch up on homework and such to take a new photo. I took about 50 or so photos from the weekend so it is a good backup plan. As most people were aware, today (well technically, yesterday since it's past midnight) was Ash Wednesday. Lent has officially begun. I think there is special significance that the beginning of Lent is the day after Mardi Gras. As the priest who conducted mass explained, there was a natural transition between the fantasy of Mardi Gras to reality of Lent. It is a time to grow closer to God through faith and prayer. Most people I know tend to give up certain material things for Lent. For me, I just add extra prayer time. I pray a decade of the rosary (1 Our Father, 10 Hail Marys, and 1 Glory Be) walking to class every morning. I have heard many times before what's the purpose of doing anything for Lent. It's not the literal action of doing something that is important, but it's the devotion exhibited through your action that matters. As most of you can tell, I'm busy enough to begin with but I am devoting myself even more because it's only natural that I do so. I'm am lucky enough to be able to do the things I get to do and blog about so I don't question my intentions nor how I celebrate Lent. Devotion is what will drive me for the next 40 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment