Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Day 174 - 12/8/10

I think for the first time this week I won't be writing about something study related. That doesn't mean that I didn't study (that was a message mainly directed towards my mother). However, I got to experience something special tonight. Something that has lit a fire in my heart and has left me inspired. Let me explain...

Tonight was our last night of Wesley Chapel this semester. I have written about it previously but just a quick recap: every Wednesday I attend chapel. It is my time of the week where everything slows down and I can focus on my relationship with Christ. This chapel was special because instead of the usual indoor praise and worship, we took a prayer walk. A walk that connects God with LSU's campus.

Our journey consisted for 4 stops...

Stop 1: We arrive at the clock tower. Every year the university places a giant 20-ft Christmas tree fully decked out with all the Christmas essentials. Our group leader gave us all zip lock bags with four items that tied with each stop: garland, a pencil, a match, and list of Christmas carols. The garland ties with the tree because the tree is a reminder of the season. Just as our clock tower, indicates us the time, the garland is indication of the season.  As the beginning of advent begins, it is important to remember that Christmas isn't about the gifts. It is about giving. Giving something that touches the soul of others. I believe that joy and cheer in the presence of others is something more beneficial and valuable than any material possession can give you. Love is my definition of the best gift and encompasses all those qualities.

Stop 2: The second stop was the quad. Interesting fact I learned: the quad is designed in the shape of a cross with the library at the heart of it. Imagine that. At the very heart of our academic, social, and spiritual endeavors, is Jesus. This is a reminder of how everything falls into place. I learned throughout this whole semester that things work themselves out. The more I try to fight against things the more I lose. But there is a beauty in coincidence. Our cross-shaped quad reminds me of that. The pencil is our symbol of how God writes the scripts of our lives and we have no eraser. And you know what? I'm pretty fine with that.

Stop 3: The Indian Mounds. The LSU Campus was built into the side of a hill, a natural levee. As the band marches down victory hill to the stadium glowing in light, it brings comparison to Matthew 5:14. "You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden." LSU, in a way, is a modern rendition. There is a surprising number of similarities between the two. It is here that we received a match. A match to light the fire in our hearts. A match to spark the light that guides us, that reveals us. The match is also a symbol of all the people in our lives that fuels our drive, who inspire us, and who lead us closer to the Lord.

Final Stop: We end our prayer walk at the Greek Amphitheater. It is this beautiful outdoor stage with rows of stone seating. The final theme was unity and togetherness. For the majority of the year, I am away from my family but I realize what keeps me sane is my friends. All of people who came with me on the walk. They are my family in Baton Rouge. We ended the prayer by singing "Silent Night" and "This Little Light of Mine." I have never been caroling before but I imagine this is the closest experience I have ever had. Kinda like the chills I get in Tiger Stadium when everyone is pure euphoria, those were the same chills I got caroling. It's all about unity and togetherness.

That kinda wraps up my night. I do need to continue to study. Friday will come by soon enough and then this semester will be done. I can't wait.

-R.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment