Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Day 62 - 8/18/10

Do you believe in miracles? I do. I look at various examples: U.S.A. over Russia in the Olympics, Jesus' resurrection, Shamwow's, the birth of Google (pretty self-explanatory), etc. In all seriousness though, I want to add another to the list: Rehab Therapy. As most of you who read know, for the past month, I've been working a rehab tech. Sadly, today was my last day as I am moving back to Baton Rouge in the morning. It was a bittersweet type of feeling. I found that the more work and effort I put into this job, the more I got out. I saw patients come in stuck in a wheelchair and in a matter of couple of weeks and plenty of encouragement, they were talking steps on their own. Some of the patients have not experienced that feeling in years. We are all partners working for the same goal. My dad told me once that in the end "Somebody will take care of somebody else one day." That's the goal he lives by. That's why he works everyday relentlessly. Because there are plenty of people to be taken care of. That's the inspiration of every therapist (occupational, physical, and speech) I had the pleasure of meeting. That should be one of the motivations of our world. It would be a better place.

There was another important lesson I learned. Miracles aren't to be expected in life. They are meant to be worked towards.We have to create our own sense of magic in life. All patients going into therapy had a list of goals they chose (walk, dress oneself, build strength, etc.). And they were determined. Personal struggle and physical detriment are incredible platforms to motivate yourself with. It reminds me of the power within myself. Also, I am reminded about how lucky I am to be able to do the things I do and how important it is to live a healthy lifestyle. I am heavily humbled by this whole experience and I will miss it. All I can hope and pray for is that there are plenty of other great facilities, just as the one I work for, with motivated employees and patients working towards the same goal: a independent healthy life. Maybe then, we all can create our own miracles.

-R.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment