Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Day 61 - 8/17/10

This is my home. Alexandria, how simple, yet sophisticated you are. Technically, I wasn't born here. I was born in the Philippines. I like to say that I wasn't the one who adopted this place, rather this place adopted me. And it was probably the best decision ever made for me. I like to travel and explore new cities and I find that each has their own unique qualities but none of the qualities fit me better than that of home. My dear Alexandria, you're not glamorous like that of Los Angeles. You're not constantly moving nor as rambunctious like New York City. You lack the glitz and glam of Las Vegas. You don't even have a famous sandwich like that of Philadelphia. But what you lack is your greatest gain. Your weakness is your greatest strength. You are humble. You are hard-working. You're rough around the edges and take some digging into to find the real value and appreciation. You're not necessarily easy on the eyes at first glance, but you are good for the answer-seeking soul. A soul such as my own. You are everything in which I hope to be. A great city to model myself with the great qualities you possess. As I soon head back to Baton Rouge, know that, just like when I ventured away for the first time last year, I can never forget you and the lessons that you have instilled in me. I am the way I am because of your shelter, your grace, and your people. Don't worry, I will be back every once in a while, there is way too much of me that is connected with you for me to just leave it all behind. Once I was asked by a upcoming valedictorian what advice I would give to my fellow class, and maybe the world...in a split-second, without skipping a beat, I knew. Like it was my fate to share something so simple and sincere with everyone else...I said...

"Love where you come from, because if you ever lose yourself, home will be where you find yourself again." And I believe every word of that statement. Alexandria, you taught me that.

So on a lighter note, I made a silly mistake. Apparently, I will be moving back to Baton Rouge on Thursday instead of tomorrow. Oops :). But I promise I have a good finale for my last day in Alexandria. I'm actually kind of glad to have an extra day, this picture actually was a toughie to take. The weather hasn't been working with me lately but now that I finally got something decent, I can move forward.

-R.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment