Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day 48 - 8/4/10

(Note - this blog falls under the category of past-due self-therapy...a bunch of my thoughts have accumulated in the past couple days and I'll try to explain myself the best I can.)

"Cause if one day you wake up and find that you're missing me
And your heart starts to wonder where on this Earth I can be
Thinking maybe you'll come back here to the place that we'd meet
And you'd see me waiting for you on the corner of the street"
-The Man Who Can't Be Moved, The Script

Sometimes I wonder how do I go about finding pictures for this 365. And then days like happen to me. I realize how easily a simple thing (such as the song above) can light up a blogging storm in myself. I really love this song by the Script. The concept is truly remarkable and it really presents to me a moment of not only great music, but great storytelling. If you listen, they brilliantly weave a sad tale of desperation and despair with sense of hope and rediscovery. It's very rare I find songs like this, songs that develop a sense of "sad hope." Now what exactly is "sad hope?" Sad hope is the understanding that in some cases life has to get worse before it can be better. It is our persistence and faith (which I talked about before) that will lead us back to happiness. Winston Churchill once said "If you are going through hell, keep going." You have to be able to stick it out through the rough patches of life, you never know...maybe whatever or whoever may catch up with you. I find that songs that truly express "sad hope" are the ones that are expansive in idea and tug all the right heart strings. As far as certain moments in my life I can relate this to, I know that I feel like that man, a man who can't be moved. When you feel that you leave an impression in the heart and mind of someone else and all of a sudden it's all gone,like you were never there, it confuses you. It makes you wonder if you did anything right. I don't know if I can really answer that, but I can trust myself and hope I did the right things in the decisions and choices I made. I may not see the external approval in someone else but maybe there are some situations that I need to see the internal approval in myself first and trust it. Trust it with everything I have. And who knows, maybe she did come back in the song, all she needed was some "sad hope."

-R.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment