Thursday, July 1, 2010

Day 14 - 7/1/10

I am madly in love with my TOMS. I feel like I'm walking on clouds when I wear them. But I guess what I really like most about them is the TOMS movement. It is just a unique statement that is being made.

So, it is officially July. June flew by pretty fast. I'm kinda glad. There is plenty going on this month. I have started working at the Tioga Manor Nursing Home. It is surprisingly enjoyable and not to difficult. I was helping a man receive therapy and somehow along the way he told me about his musical talent and how he played piano with Stevie Wonder when he was 12 years old. I'm not sure if that story is actually true but it was just very entertaining to listen. Sometimes I feel that there is this stigma against people in nursing homes. They are seen as gross, weird, or nasty but I just see them as people who just need to be taken special care of in an environment designed to keep them productive. Sadly enough, as people grow old, we aren't capable of doing some things anymore but if we can look beyond that and offer our help, there is plenty of experience and perspective these people can share.

-R.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment